Fun Cars over the Years
The intent of this page was to see if we could learn if "you are what you drive" is true. Funny, as I posted these pics and reviewed the cars, I'm not sure I can draw a conclusion. There's sports cars, utility vehicles, and cars that are just ready to put a bunch of miles on. Anyway, I've tried to make a comment on each one. Hopefully, this is somewhat interesting.
At a minimum, cars are a big investment and it was a history lesson for Linda and I on what investments we've made and how those investments turned out.
roughly in order of acquisition
Camaro<<get a pic of original to replace the stock one here>>
Great Car. Loved every mile I drove it. Story of it's demise: my friend didn't have any albums or tapes of his own at home, so he used to bring a tape recorder and ride with me in my car and record my stereo. One night, we were doing that and came up to an unmarked T intersection. Flew over the road into a corn field and it was all on tape. Ugh. Unfortunately, we seem to have lost track of that tape. Anyway, no one was hurt and Jeanie and Kay's friends rescued my friend and I as we walked down the road looking for help in sub-zero temps. They took us to a bar where Marian and Roy rescued us for good.
LTD <<can we get a more clear picture or use a stock one>>
What a comfortable car. Best ride I ever had in a car. This picture is blurry - from a video. Alicia is in the foreground and the car is parked at the farm close to the well.
Monte Carlo
Beautiful Car. They just don't make this look any more. Lots of chrome.
Gremlin
The Grumbling Gremlin - despite AMC being much maligned, this was a great car. I believe this is during a move when it was jammed with boxes. Put a ton of miles on this. Looks like I needed some hubcaps.
Daihatsu<< find pic of hauling motorcycles>>
The Okinawa car, steering wheel on the "wrong" side. Used to put the hatchback up and use tie downs to secure the front wheel of dirt bikes to transport them to near the coast where we road.
Toyota Celica
This one was all about reliability and putting on a zillion miles, which it did well.
Camaro
Maybe my favorite car ever. Loved the T-Tops. Ride was great. Took it to TN and Florida for Spring Break 3 days after buying it. This ran forever, nearly 200K miles. Here it's parked next to my room mate Tim's Corvette.
Old Cutlass <<this is stock, do we have a real one?>>
Again, needed this car for the miles. Used it for a 180 mile commute from Bourbonnais when Mike was in High School and I worked in Barrington. It did well.
Linda's Saab <<this is stock. do we have a real pic?>>
Great car especially the convertible. We did learn however that Saabs are notorious for breakdowns and all breakdowns cost a lot for repairs.
Taurus<<this is stock. do we have a real pic?>>
When I first got to CA, I was coming from Evanston where I didn't need a car. Needed basic transport to work and this was it. Called this car the Haymobile. Bought it used from a horse farm owner. Not sure we ever got all the Hay out. Was glad to trade this in for the Firebird.
Put in my pic of Firebird <<this is stock. do we have a real pic?>>
Loved this car too. T-Tops, Engine, Look and Feel. If there was one car I wish I would not have sold and that I still had today, it was this, but in Carlsbad, we had limited driveway space and had a truck and the Saab.
Leaf Electric Car
We were an electric car early adopter. Never had any problem with the car, but it was always a concern whether we had enough miles from our charge to make it to our destinations.
Put in my pic of Truck
We still have the truck. With our large yard, trees, etc. we need a utility vehicle. The truck has been great over the years. Still less than 100K miles. The pic below is from Yosemite, hauling our bikes with us in CA. This one taught us the value of paying cash. There was a special government tax deal on trucks when we bought this. In effect, we paid half price, but we had to pay in full on the spot. Maybe our best value vehicle.
Murano <<this is stock. do we have a real pic?>>
Still have this. Linda's car mainly. Bought it after we had a Murano rental car that got us through a horrific storm and it did so well with that, we wanted one of our own.
Challenger
Have this one now - Back in love with sports cars. One thing I like about this is how much they are duplicating the look from the 1970s model. Rides and runs great. Fun to drive. This is the one Kevin drives mostly.
Return to Kevin and Linda page: Click Here







